MOTIVATE


DISCLAIMER

This is not a professional website but a personal blog that is in no way connected to Sheridan Institute of Technology. I am the author of the content that can be found here. The opinions expressed here are my own and are the result of my highly disorganized and dysfunctional mind. Motivation Animation is not responsible for the content of external internet sites nor should I be held responsible for content posted in this blog or re-posted elsewhere. If you, the reader, want further explanation, clarification or have any questions I would encourage you to email me with specific questions.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

CHOICES// OPPORTUNITY// PREPARING FOR SHERIDAN ANIMATION


BECOME A GOOD DRAWER/ IT'S ALL ABOUT HARDSKILLS

Sheridan Animation's first two years are all about drawing/technical skills. Although having digital animation skills are equally important--being a good artist is really where it counts. In my opinion, understanding how to draw characters and anatomy are paramount to really excelling at not only getting good grades but ultimately creating good material that industry professionals will eventually look at. 

Think about the fundamentals of drawing which are concepts like form, structure, rhythm, value (line quality) as your goals for learning. 

At Sheridan Animation, you have the opportunity to learn a lot of different technical skills in drawing, painting, digital programs, and storytelling, to name a few. There's a lot of information one must absorb year after year. It's the most mentally and physically challenging thing I've ever have to do simply because I've never pushed myself as hard as I do at Sheridan. I can't say for everyone I go to school with but I find the creative process exhilarating and enthralling. When it comes to making "choices", the question I find very challenging to answer is which skills should I focus my attention on. For example, should I produce more work digital work like digital paintings/environments or should I focus my attention on life-drawing? Opportunity for learning and growth is always on the horizon and in my case, as summer approaches, I will try to stay focused on gaining better technique.

As artists, we spend years of practice and training only to find that we've either learned a small amount or we've learned a lot--at least thats how I feel sometimes. When I look at my downtime which is off-school I'm thinking about where I should focus my efforts and learn more. Moreover, knowing where exactly to put your focus and plan your 'personal education' around is very important because it can mean the difference between getting a B+ and an A in the coming year. However, marks/grades aren't everything but gaining knowledge and insight is. Just plan to do a lot of work, an insane, unfair amount of work.

LIFE-DRAWING ALL THE TIME

The tough question which my summer begins and ends with is where should I focus my time? After a very long and exhausting first year there's only one thought that remains in my mind--what next? Essentially, my summer should be planned around getting prepared for next semester. I've been asking other students, my colleagues, about what they will be up to, asking my mentors, and second year students. After my 'research' I have planned to focus my attention mainly around life-drawing. Again, as competitive as Sheridan Animation is, this is the time where I can really put my mind to something and learn more. Getting better at life-drawing can prepare me for next semester and in addition simply keep me on track in terms of drawing skill. So I will be managing my time around life-drawing which is what I already do at school. I'll admit, keeping a balanced focus in art-work is important meaning 'doing a bit of everything'. I will argue that life-drawing combines it all while really focusing on the fundamentals of drawing at Sheridan Animation which are things like structure. Simply put, I want to be a better drawer and I feel my passion and direction in drawing can evolve through higher education in life-drawing. 

PLAN TO DRAW EVERYDAY, EVERYWHERE

My schedule will consist of doing life-drawing classes one to two times a week with "cafe sketches", which are known as quite literally doing sketches in a cafe, on the subway, or any casual setting with people. If I'm switching back and forth between hours of life-drawing and hours of short studies then I should see improvement. It's only upon weeks of life-drawing at school until I saw real breakthroughs occur but like most things in life, you need to stay committed and focused to reach a goal. 

LIFE-DRAWING COMBINES A LOT OF FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS/ TECHNIQUES

So what will you be learning? What are you doing already? Some people know a lot about characters. Do you draw a lot of fun little people or animals? Some individuals are more focused with life-drawing? I'll admit, some people like to do it all and some can manage their time around learning everything. For myself, I am trying to speed up my learning curve in life-drawing and focus on one thing as opposed to many things. Moreover, as my tutor puts it, life-drawing combines all drawing and process-oriented work thereby providing you with a lot of knowledge for skill that relates to all fundamental arts at Sheridan. For example, drawing squares, circles, simple lines, faces, are all consistent  with animation principles. Knowing how to do draw these things quickly, easily, accurately, are also important and there are so many reasons why life-drawing is important in the long run. So it's a process. Most of all, I wanted to say, when you really understand structure, composition, line quality and simply how to draw well you are really taking those first initial steps into a more professional level of artistry.

If you want my opinion, I would say to do life-drawing at least two times a week. If you want to get better quickly or at least get prepared for entering Sheridan Animation then plan to learn a lot of human anatomy. Remember, a strong foundation is important because often the slow and steady student will excel later in their career. 

Furthermore, I'll give you the best tip I have in terms of getting better in life-drawing. Buy this book: MICHAEL HAMPTON, FIGURE DRAWING - DESIGN AND INVENTION.






If you don't already know about this book then do a bit of research. Above all, this book provides you with all of the basic fundamentals and provides great illustrations and examples. Moreover, this book comes recommended by all of the life-drawing teachers and tutors in Sheridan Animation and is basically the best resource in drawing human anatomy. It's not required to be purchased for any course but I'd strongly suggest it for any student at any level. Many first year students in Sheridan Animation buy it and simply use it in and out of life-drawing class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment