MOTIVATE


DISCLAIMER

This is not a professional website but a personal blog that is in no way connected to Sheridan Institute of Technology. I am the author of the content that can be found here. The opinions expressed here are my own and are the result of my highly disorganized and dysfunctional mind. Motivation Animation is not responsible for the content of external internet sites nor should I be held responsible for content posted in this blog or re-posted elsewhere. If you, the reader, want further explanation, clarification or have any questions I would encourage you to email me with specific questions.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My OCAD Experience VS Sheridan Experience


This isn't a story about success so much as it is about hard work and dedication. Sheridan Animation is tough work and there's much to be said about what "hard work" and long hours mean. 

Fortunately, I had the experience of attending OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design) or what is now called OCADU (OCAD University). First and foremost, in referring to my experience at OCAD I will try to stay neutral and objective about my ideas and opinions. I attended OCAD enrolled in Illustration Design and I must admit, I wasn't impressed by the quality of work and degree of students which attended the school. There were long hours, loads of work, interesting instructors, and some basic foundational principles to be learned but where was the passion? I couldn't taste the glorious art I had been seeking all my life. Moreover, I did very well and attained high grades that year I attended OCAD. However, being at OCAD I began to question their approach to teaching 'art' and often felt they lacked a fundamental approach to fine art. I wanted to learn more or simply learn to focus more on anatomy for example. As I moved through foundation year I came to the realization that OCAD was not the place for me and amongst all the repetitive art assignments and "too-cool" art students there was no real job in the design business for me. I left OCAD because I was specifically disappointed with the education, entry standards, and instructors at OCAD. Moreover, I wasn't impressed by the other students but of course there are incredible artists that have left OCAD but only a handful of them are what one would call 'incredible' or 'amazing'. The bottom line is, OCAD wasn't giving me the best education nor did I feel inspired.

OCAD's courses functioned as one foundation year, then afterwards in second and third year, you began to learn the 'real stuff' as many put it. It's a four year degree either way and that equals time and money. Honestly, I didn't feel that I was learning a lot so much as repeating old art assignments that were akin to a 'run of the mill' art college. It was very basic and I was coming from an art high school so I did have more knowledge then an average first-year student.

Moving on--I've heard a lot more from my friends and colleagues that finished at OCAD and their personal education experience there. From what I understand is that many students in there design streams learn very similar material and when they move into the art/graphic design industry, they begin doing all the same work which is graphic design or simply, design. That much is true for the few people I know. But as we all know, you have to start out somewhere even if that means doing grunt work. Although, if I knew the types of entry level jobs I would receive after leaving OCAD's design streams then I wouldn't have even bothered applying. Too many graphic designers and illustration artists are not taken seriously these days and they are paid very little. Again, this is my opinion but I don't find that  creatively or financially satisfying. However, that doesn't mean OCAD is a bad place for you to get an education.

But ask yourself this question: What do you want to be when you grow up? What career is right for you? Honestly, it isn't a simple question to begin with but if you want an education, sure, attend OCAD. You are in charge of your education and your life. I reiterate, remember that one simple fact that at the end of the day, you'll be the one making all the tough decisions and doing all the work. Education and learning doesn't start and begin in one place. I say, if you're constantly learning and striving for more than you're constantly creating and growing. Keep in mind you must be very hard working to devote yourself to career in art. Having an idea of what you want to achieve is important, Furthermore, in defining what you want to have for career and life and obviously one can still be successful if they gained a degree from OCAD. 

Regardless, I believe OCAD did not give me much in terms of education. From the short time I spent there, I realized that Illustration Design was not the direction I wanted to go. At the time I was going there I had not yet realized my dream of going to Sheridan Animation and those opportunities of jobs after Sheridan Animation were not even in my peripherals. Eventually I had learned my friends who left OCAD were disappointed, to say the least. Again, a lot of people from OCAD do have jobs I'm sure, however, my point is that my friends/colleagues who left did not feel spiritually/creatively fulfilled. I'm glad I didn't spend more time there because I knew I had great potential in me, Sheridan Animation potential.

14 comments:

  1. I would love to email you more about your experiences with OCAD and Sheridan. is there anyway I can get your email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Lee. I'm interested in Sheridan's illustration and Animation course. I don't know if im allowed to apply to both but, in their website they have a link for the portfolio requirements..the problem is, its only a reference + its from 2012 so i was wondering if im suppose to wait till they renew it or they will send me the new requirements after i apply. so can you tell me about your experience when you applied, your portfolio assessment (i.e. expectations :all real life?) and your current experience i.e. work load, hw examples, timetable. thankyou ps. if the questions are too personal -sorry- currently im very anxious

    reply at email:arisa1510@hotmail.com ~thankyou for your time~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee,
    I attended a National Portfolio Day recently and the representative from OCAD really liked my work and told me to apply next year. After reading your blog (and many others), I've become a bit nervous about what OCAD really has to offer. Is OCAD one of the lower-end schools? How about their illustration program? I've been considering Sheridan for illustration instead. Do you have any suggestions or helpful tips regarding applying to Sheridan? I'm from Vancouver so I'm not sure about how difficult it will be for me to get accepted. If you'd like me to send you my work so you could help see where I'm at, I'd love to!
    Thanks,
    Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for you input,
    I just got accepted today to Sheridan Animation. I also applied for OCAD as well, but in my opinion, and the influence of recent illustration ocad graduates also said that they regret the four years cause ocad didn't do much for them, nor do some of they have proper illustration jobs. I hope to continue and strive to keep learning at Sheridan! Learn and improve LOTS !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly my opinion too. I have a few friends who graduated (more than three year ago) but they end up doing general design work for advertising firms. Doesn't really propel you into the industry. But what do I know? Congratulations on getting into Sheridan Animation. I'll be in third year by the time you come in. Good journey. Keep in touch.

      Delete
  5. Could you perhaps tell me of whether the tuition for Sheridan is higher then OCAD?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's probably worth checking out the websites for both Sheridan Technology and OCADU? You want to find out the specific tuition fees for each semester (Fall and Winter semesters) attached to the program of your choice.

    I don't think its advisable for me to post any tuition fees on this blog. Prospective students can find it through the college websites or any other professional websites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I see. I'll be sure to do that.
      Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  7. Hi there,
    I am interested in Graphic Design as a career and OCAD was my top school. But after doing some research and asking around, it has me questioning if OCAD is the best choice for me. I am also looking into schools such as Emily Carr in Vancouver and some in the States. I'm in Gr.11 at an art high school and I am not entirely sure what my choices really are anymore. Do you have tips on art schools or applying to art schools? I would love some advice.
    Thanks, Meegan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I am thinking of doing Animation hopefully applying for Sheridan or Seneca colleges... I am wondering if OCAD is a place I should consider for that?
    Also is it possible you could tell me more of your experience with Sheridan and OCAD? That would be HUGE help! Thank you! Would email work better for discussing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheridan is far superior to OCAD. Period. Any working professional will tell you the same. Also Sheridan now has agreements in place with York - so Sheridan also is has university credentials.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to email you about transferring from OCAD to Sheridan. Is there anyway I can get your email?

    ReplyDelete